Motorcycle accidents can be traumatizing, and if you are involved in one, the last thing you want to worry about is money. Having a good motorcycle insurance policy can go a long way toward easing any worries you might have when it comes to crashes and finances.
Having insurance for your bike is not an option. Your registered motorcycle must be covered by motorcycle insurance.
Motorcycle Insurance Requirements
State law requires you to have motorcycle liability insurance for your bike. Liability insurance will help pay for costs related to property damage and injuries suffered by others resulting from an accident you cause.
In order to be compliant with Delaware law, your motorcycle insurance policy must include the following minimum coverage limits per accident:
- $15,000 for bodily injury per person.
- $30,000 for total bodily injury if multiple people are hurt in the accident.
- $10,000 for property damage.
Keep in mind that these are only the state’s minimum requirements. Accidents can be costly, and you might want to consider purchasing higher limits that will offer you additional financial protection.
It is important to understand that liability insurance will not pay for your own injuries or property damage (damages to your motorcycle). There are, however, some common optional coverages that can help protect you where liability cannot.
The following optional motorcycle coverage types are widely available amongst motorcycle insurance companies:
- Collision – This will help pay for damages to your motorcycle after a crash.
- Comprehensive – This coverage will help with repairs to your bike if it gets damaged in cases not involving traffic accidents. Examples may include damages from severe weather and vandalism.
- Medical payments – If you are hurt in an accident, this coverage will help pay for costs related to your injuries.
- Towing and labor – This coverage will help you during a breakdown by helping provide and pay for roadside assistance and towing.
Several other types of optional coverage may be available to you. As you get a motorcycle insurance quote, look closely at all options, as purchasing these options will increase your motorcycle insurance rate.
Please contact us for more information